It is one of the first questions that I get asked once a family books their Family Photography Session. “What should we wear for our family photos?” I can almost hear the stress in mom’s voice as she asks. As a mom of two little ones, I get it! Dressing myself and looking pulled together can be challenging enough, never mind trying to coordinate the whole family!
But don’t fret, I am here to help you. I’ve put together some tips as you begin to plan what to wear for your Family photography session.
Coordinate Outfits Instead of Matching
The goal for your family photos is to coordinate not match. Everyone doesn’t have to wear the same color or even dress in the same style! Each person in your family can dress in a way that fits their own personality, all while looking pulled together in your family photos.
I’m sure you’re wondering; how do we pull that off? Below are a few tips:
- Start by selecting a color palette. This is usually 2-3 coordinating colors.
- Dress mom first. Pick out an outfit that makes you feel amazing, mama!
- Select outfits for the rest of your family based on your color palette that compliment your outfit.
- Use accessories to pull your look together and help each member of the family coordinate with others. For example, in this Spring Family Photography session the color palette was Cream, Mustard and Steel Blue. The eldest daughter wore a floral dress with Mustard and Steel Blue accents to compliment Mom’s Mustard cardigan and Dad’s Steel Blue shirt. Mom wore a Cream top to coordinate with her daughters’ Cream tights and Cream hairbows.
Tips for the Mamas
This may be a first in a long time; but mama you get to go first! Let’s celebrate the fact that you will actually be in these pictures. You will get to love on and play with your family all while capturing some beautiful images of your family together! As a mom myself, I know that opportunity is rare. I am usually the one behind the camera (or the phone) and I am not always in the frame.
- Pick out something you feel amazing in: As your family photographer, I want to make sure you not only love your portraits, but also love the way you look in them. And one way to make that happen is to make sure you feel fantastic in what you are wearing. When you feel amazing, it really does show in pictures.
- You want to be able to move around with your fam: Tight pants and tight dresses are super cute for going out but can be tricky for family photos. Choose something that allows for movement. Flowy dresses or layered tops are perfect options for Mom.
Tips for the Dads
Generally, we keep it fairly simple and neutral for Dad. Comfort and style are key! With that in mind, here are a few tips in the very best outfit options for Dad:
- Well-fitted clothes: Try to avoid baggy clothing and find options that fit well while still being easy to move around in comfortability.
- Wrinkle-free: Less work on your part!
- Keep it simple: A solid button up or henley t-shirt paired with jeans or slacks is a perfect option for Dad.
Tips for the Kids
- Dress your kiddos in clothes that fit perfectly, not with room to grow. Even if you child may only wear the outfit for a short period of time, an outfit that fits properly will look much better than something that is too big.
- Layers are just as important for child wardrobe as it is for yours. Hats, glasses, cardigans, tights or leggings under a skirt. I recommend making the outer layer (blazer, cardi, jacket) fit snugly.
- The most important part of putting together your child’s wardrobe is allowing their personality to come through. If your daughter has a favorite pair of boots, let her wear them (at least in a few pictures). If your child loves to wear hats and sunglasses, bring them! Whatever makes your child their own adorable, individual self, let’s focus on those things. Let them have a little bit of input when planning their wardrobe as well. And never say “no” to bringing their favorite things along- watching them grow with their favorite things is really amazing.